Charlie at The Worm Hole is hosting the tenth – yes, tenth! – annual What’s In A Name challenge, originally started by Annie, then handed to Beth Fish Reads and now continued by Charlie. For full details go to the sign-up post. I’ve been doing this challenge since Annie started it in 2007, just missing the one in 2009! So, even though I’m cutting back on challenges for 2017, I really want to take part in this one.
The challenge runs from January to December. During this time you choose a book to read from each of the following categories. (Charlie’s examples of books you could choose are in brackets – translations and other languages most definitely count!):
- A number in numbers (84, Charing Cross Road; 12 Years A Slave; 31 Dream Street)
- A building (The Old Curiosity Shop; I Capture The Castle; House Of Shadows; The Invisible Library; Jamaica Inn)
- A title which has an ‘X’ somewhere in it (The Girl Next Door; The Running Vixen)
- A compass direction (North and South; Guardians Of The West; The Shadow In The North; NW)
- An item/items of cutlery (The Subtle Knife; Our Spoons Came From Woolworths)
- A title in which at least two words share the same first letter – alliteration! (The Great Gatsby; The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite; Gone Girl; The Cuckoo’s Calling)
Charlie is asking for one review per category.
For now I’ve shown my alternative choices. I shall delete them as I complete each category
A number in numbers
The 12.30 from Croydon by Freeman Wills Crofts
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen and also Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid (joint post)
A title which has an ‘X’ somewhere in it
A Place of Execution by Val McDermid
A compass direction
- The King in the North by Max Adams
- North and South – Elizabeth Gaskell
- South Riding by Winifred Holtby
An item/items of cutlery
Our Spoons Came From Woolworths by Barbara Comyns
A title in which at least two words share the same first letter – alliteration!
A Death in the Dales by Frances Brody